Monday 25 April 2011

A Wallflower

A Wallflower
It was very frustrating to see other girls and boys having a wonderful time at social
gatherings and not being able to be part of the merriment. I was born with silky jet black
hair and a flawless porcelain complexion. I could have been quite attractive if not for my
two front teeth. Chipped and jagged due to a fall when I was a little girl, I would not
parade them for a million dollars.
Once I met a good-looking boy on a packed bus. He smiled and asked if I was from the
same college. Before I could finish my sentence, he interrupted to ask how I chipped my
teeth ! Passengers standing nearby seemed equally curious to have a glimpse of my
disfigured teeth. I was most embarrassed. I wished I could have jumped off the bus there
and then.
I disliked face-to-face encounters. To avoid inspection of my unpresentable teeth, I would
cover my mouth, look elsewhere and do anything tocamo uflage them. I often wished I
was flawlessly beautiful like my cousin, Josephine. At every social occasion, there would
always be a crowd of admirers around her.
Once evening, at Josephine's wedding reception, I was standing as usual in a quiet corner
of the banqueting hall watching other people enjoying themselves. when i went to the
"Ladies', I was shocked to hear relatives commenting about me. "Stuck-up!" "Peacock!"
"Rude!" were some of the harsh words I heard before I dashed out of the room crying.
Just then, I saw a group of the wedding guests across the hall crowding around a plain looking girl. Suddenly, she caught sight of me. Smiling broadly, she called out. "Mary! It's me, Jane.
Come. Let me have a closer look at this much talked about pretty cousin of mine." As I
went closer, I noticed that she had a very uneven set of yellow teeth.
Out of habit, my hand went automatically up to cover my mouth when I greeted Jane
whom I had not seen for years. Jane smiled at me warmly and the understanding look in
her eyes put me completely at ease. "Care for a walk ? It's pretty stuffy in here," said Jane
as she gently led me out of the banqueting hall.
"Why is a sweet-looking girl like you playing wallflower on such a happy occasion "
Don't just stand around. Greet the aunties and uncles. talk to the cousins, and stop letting
everyone think you're proud or rude!"
Jane was right. i had unconsciously offended many people by being too conscious of my
teeth. I also realized that in trying to hide my teeth, I drew more attention to them. I
dawned on me that during our conversation I stopped noticing Jane's teeth. what I saw
was a very pleasant and friendly person.
Acting on Jane's advice, I have learnt to mix more freely on social occasions now. As my
social skills improve I seem to receive more compliments about my hair and my complexion. It is interesting that people no longer
notice my two front teeth. These days , I look forward to social gatherings. I am no longer a wallflower  on such occasions anymore.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment